4/12/11

I Finally Did Some Cooking!

I know this blog is supposed to be about all aspects of me becoming domestic but I have not really gotten on the cooking band waggon until last week. I tried 2 new recipes this last week and have a goal to try 1 a week and share them with you all. Bear with me as I get into it... I forgot to get pictures of them both.

First, I tried Hungry Girl's Sloppy Joe Stir Fry. It was pretty good but Aaron wanted me to make an amendment. He asked for regular coleslaw instead of broccoli slaw. It was so easy to make and really good with chips... kinda like nachos. Oh yeah, one thing, I think everything tastes better with chips.
Here is the recipe with the nutrition facts that she posted but you can also click on the link to see a picture.

PER SERVING (1/4th of recipe, about 1 cup): 140 calories, 4g fat, 455mg sodium, 13g carbs, 3g fiber, 7.5g sugars, 13.5g protein -- PointsPlus™ value 3*
Ingredients:
8 oz. raw lean ground turkey
One 12-oz. bag (about 4 cups)
dry broccoli cole slaw
1 cup Hunt's Manwich Original Sloppy Joe Sauce

Directions:Bring a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat on the stove. Add turkey and use a spatula to break it up. Cook and crumble until browned and fully cooked, about 8 minutes.

Add slaw and sauce to the skillet and stir to mix. Continue to cook for about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sauce is hot and slaw has softened.

Serve and enjoy!

MAKES 4 SERVINGS

The second dish was a Summer Tortellini Salad. It was SSSSOOOO GGGGOOOOOOODDDD! I found it on The Sister's Cafe blog. (I really recommend this blog for TONS of ideas.) I made this on Saturday as a side dish for Aaron's mom's birthday dinner.

Here is the recipe and the picture (that I remembered this time)

1 pkg. (9 oz.) uncooked refrigerated cheese-filled tortellini (You can also use dry tortellini. Barilla has a yummy four cheese and Costco has really good tortellini as well)
1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped (I use the equivalent of baby carrots instead)
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
4 green onions with tops, thinly sliced
1/4 cup snipped fresh parsley (or 4 tsp. dried parsley if you don't have fresh...fresh is always best of course, but dried works fine too)
1/2 cup home-made or you're very, very favorite ranch dressing (I tend to skimp a bit on this measurement but 1/2 a cup isn't too much, just trying to be healthy:)
Parmesan Cheese - to taste
*Option - I have added left over Rotisserie chicken to this and really liked it

Cook
tortellini according to package directions, drain and rinse under cold running water. Place tortellini in a large colander and set aside. Meanwhile, slice zucchini. chop carrot(s). Cut tomatoes in half and slice green onions. Snip parsley, if using fresh. Add vegetables to tortellini. Pour salad dressing over salad. Grate Parmesan cheese over salad. cover; refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving. Yield: 6 servings
 
- Caroline
 

No comments:

Post a Comment